Saturday, June 19, 2010

Top 100 films of the 2000s: overview




Before I finally reveal my somewhat final list of my top 100 films of the 2000s, let me say a few things about it. First of all, I feel it's about time to construct some sort of list as I have been wanting to for awhile and I've caught up on a lot of films lately so I feel I've seen enough to make a list. Now there are a handful of movies from the decade that I still haven't seen and when I do wind up seeing them and I think it's top 100 worthy, you will all be the first to know.

Secondly, you will notice my list may be a little indie/foreign heavy. Now this isn't just because I have some indie bias or anything. I'd LOVE for there to be many great studio films on my list, but the simple fact is that there aren't many. Don't blame me, blame Hollywood. And at the same time, praise the foreign and independent market for making some great films.

Overall, I'd say the 2000s had a lot of great films but only a few true classics.* Unlike the 90s, where I'd say over half the movies of my list could be considered definite classics, the 00s list is just odd... which is also what made the decade so unique. You had great films made from many different countries with big budgets, average budgets, miniscule budgets and you had people pushing the boundaries of artistic expression. That is part of why I want to make this list... to celebrate those filmmakers who went that extra mile. So, this will be a multi-part unveiling much like the '90s list. I hope you enjoy it. I know my list may be a little typical with some snobby arthouse fans, but... cut me some slack. A good film is a good film.

* Upon further review of my list, I feel I should somewhat retract my statement on how there are only a few true classics from the 2000s. As I mention on my list, the top seven films on there could all easily be number 1 and I would argue that my top 20 could be put up against many other decades and it wouldn't look bad at all by comparison.

the list:

No comments: