Monday, July 11, 2011

Part 3: the mid-way point

Since it's the middle of July, I thought it'd be cool to give you my thoughts on my favorite films of the year so far.

Top 5 films of 2011 so far:
1. Bridesmaids - It's with great pleasure and no shame that I place Bridesmaids at the top of my list for the year so far. I think it's an excellent comedy with a lot of heart with a number of funny characters that are worth caring about. Tremendous film, the only film so far that is a lock to be in my top 10 films of 2011.

2. Super 8 - I may have jumped the gun on giving Super 8 an 8.5 and I even state as much in my review. But Super 8 is thoroughly entertaining and always fun to watch.

3. Win Win - Perfectly sound comedy-drama featuring great performances from Amy Ryan and Paul Giamatti. A movie that may be perhaps a bit too nice and heartwarming but it's still a very good film.

4. Source Code - An excellent Hitchcockian suspense film from young, up-and-coming director Duncan Jones.

5. Cedar Rapids - This is a very funny film featuring a great cast that includes Ed Helms and John C. Reilly. It unfortunately went under the radar earlier this year which is a shame because I think it could've been a hit if they actually gave it a wide release. Strange marketing strategy there.

Honorable Mention: Midnight in Paris - notable in that it's a really good, solid Woody Allen film

I still haven't been able to see Tree of Life which is sort of looming over my top 5 list. Also missing is X-Men First Class of which I will see very soon.

As far as the rest of the year? We'll see.

No comments: