Saturday, January 21, 2012

Getting on with it, a short Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy review

Part of what causes delays between blog posts is when I see a movie that doesn't really cause much of a reaction for me so much so that it makes me not want to write a review for it. But, I ultimately feel obligated to do so and so there's this huge delay. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was one of those movies for me. It's a masterfully shot film with pitch perfect art direction and a number of great understated performances from a who's who list of great British actors. So why is that I did not care for this film whatsoever? Could it be that the plot is confusing? There are so many characters that it makes my head spin? The dialogue often references things of which I have no idea what the hell they're talking about?

It's just an overall confusing, bewildering type of movie which is a shame because all the elements are there for a superb film. I've never really seen a film like this, at least recently, where I love everything about it from a technical standpoint but feel absolutely nothing for the actual movie itself. Perhaps I need a second viewing, but you would at least like for a movie to be somewhat engaging in the first viewing. Tinker Tailor left me utterly confused and not intrigued enough to want to revisit it anytime soon.

Rating: 4/10

No comments: