Monday, February 6, 2012

My top 20 of 2011

1. The Tree of Life
2. The Skin I Live In
3. Drive
4. The Adventures of Tintin
5. Moneyball
6. Hugo
7. Shame
8. Bridesmaids
9. Beginners
10. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
11. The Descendants
12. Contagion
13. X-Men: First Class
14. Margin Call
15. The Muppets
16. The Artist
17. The Ides of March
18. Source Code
19. 50/50
20. Win Win

And then Super 8 and Midnight in Paris would be like 21/22. Other than that, I'd pretty much call that an official list. Complaints? Problems? Tell it to the judge.

A pretty strong year, but I can't wait to move onto 2012. With the Tree of Life, I just find the persistence and boldness of Malick's vision to be such an incredible achievement in itself and there are moments in that film that definitely go beyond anything else I've seen in 2011. The Skin I Live In is a close second though, I'm surprised not as many people were as wowed by that film as I was. I found it to be deliciously perverse and one of the most original stories conceived all year. I have a feeling Shame will move up higher and higher as the next few months/years go on, there's a lot to like about that film. Drive and Moneyball are really great too, though. I keep reading more and more Drive backlash but I don't care if people merely look at it as a 90 minute music video. There is no film of recent years that's quite like it.

No comments: