Friday, April 12, 2013

A tribute to Roger Ebert



Sadly, while I was gone, we lost a true legend: Roger Ebert. I wrote a tribute to him on ThePlaylist and it does a good job summing up my feelings about the man.


"Watching films would have never been more than a fun little hobby for me if not for Roger Ebert. He was the gateway drug. My gateway to more serious films, my gateway to reading and ingesting film criticism on a regular basis. He lead the way for me as I'm sure he did for many others. He inspired the way I write and debate about movies. For the first forty years of his career, he showed us what a great observer he was when it came to the movies. In the last few years, he showed us all what a great observer he was on life, in general. He simply had a great mind, and thanks to social media, we were all exposed to it. As sad as it is to have to write about Mr. Ebert in the past tense, it's important to remember how he never wasted a single day while he was here, even when he had every right to do so. That's what I find to be most inspirational about the man. May he rest in peace, though I have the sneaking suspicion that wherever he is he'd rather be writing, not resting."


Roger Ebert, you will be missed.

No comments: