Saturday, May 25, 2013

Films on my radar: the month of June

So, I've been struggling since my return from California to see the movies I want to see in time. But, mostly, I have been having to catch up. I just don't have as much time this summer and the price of movie tickets in NYC has gone up to $14.50. Ridiculous! If only more people read this blog, I could get press credentials or something. But if I had a bigger readership, I wouldn't be able to get away with saying this: fuck shit ass tits balls.

I don't bother with the "Fast and Furious" movies because, honestly, those movies are critic proof. Same thing with Transformers. You either like that shit, or you don't. I still have to see "Star Trek Into Darkness," hopefully that will be soon. From what's also currently out, "Frances Ha," "The Hangover Part III," and "Before Midnight" are films I hope to tackle within the next two weeks.

Next Friday are two wild cards: "Now You See Me" and "After Earth." One is a magician heist film, which sounds lame, but it has a good cast. Morgan Freeman, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Melanie Laurent, etc. "After Earth" was directed by M. Night Shyamalan and stars Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith. Can M. Night finally turn the corner and make a good movie after years of mediocrity? Are we finally sick of Will Smith? Do we really care about his son? If the answers to those questions are no, yes, and  no then you cross this one off my radar.

June - nine films on my radar, let's see which ones they are in order of release...

June 7th

The Internship



 Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson back together for the first time since "Wedding Crashers." Will this outing be as successful as last time? Not sure. Could be a fun comedy, but honestly, I didn't even love "Wedding Crashers" that much. I dig both actors and they obviously have great chemistry, but I'm not sure if this is going to be funny or just a giant advertisement for Google. By the way, the blog is owned by Google so I ain't talking shit about Google, believe me. Heh, heh, heh....


Much Ado About Nothing



Joss Whedon. Shakespeare. To Joss Whedon nerds, it's a match made in heaven. For me, I'm just... interested. I'm not sure if I'll catch this one in the theaters but I might. I saw the trailer for this one and it looks kinda weird. Shot in black and white, using the Shakespeare dialogue, but set in modern times. I don't know, we'll see how this pans out.



June 14th

This is the End



June is filled with "maybes" and that's the case with "This is the End." It's got an all-star cast filled with the Apatow gang, but will it be hilarious or incredibly self-indulgent?



Man of Steel



Zack Snyder always brings the interesting visuals, but usually with an empty story and annoying slow-mo action scenes. So it'll be interesting to see how Christopher Nolan's influence affects his style here. Will people be able to get excited about Superman, finally?



The Bling Ring



This one got a faintly positive reaction out of Cannes, but that doesn't always mean anything. It's nice to see Sofia Coppola do a movie that's not incredibly personal. It's not that I don't enjoy her personal films, but it's just nice to see her sensibilities put to work in a different story. Some have said that the film is pretty one-dimensional, but Coppola is an interesting enough director that I will be wanting to see this when it comes out in theaters.



June 21st

Monsters University



Another Pixar sequel. This one could be as fun as Toy Story 3 or as forgettable as Cars 2.



World War Z



Running over budget, release date delays, re-shoots, re-writes, etc. World War Z has had a boatload of problems, but Brad Pitt in a zombie film is still a reason to see this film. I don't care what you say.



June 28th

The Heat




"Bridesmaids" director Paul Feig reteams with Melissa McCarthy and they team with Sandra Bullock. "Identity Thief" got middling reviews earlier this year but the draw of Melissa McCarthy turned it into a box office success. Can the same happen with "The Heat"? Will Paul Feig bring some quality to this film or was "Bridesmaids" just a success because of Kristen Wiig's unique comic voice?


I'm So Excited



Ah, Pedro Almodovar. I have made no secret about my love for this man's films. So, obviously, I want to see this one. "The Skin I Live In" was my number 2 favorite of 2011. "Talk to Her" is one of my favorite films of 2000s. The man has been getting better with age and now he's back with a fun little comedy. I can't wait.


No comments: