Friday, May 24, 2013

Well, I WAS going to make a post about Cannes reactions, but...

Last year, I did something that I thought was pretty cool: posting critics reactions to films coming out of Cannes. But I must not have noticed Criticwire at the time. This year, Criticwire has totally got me beat. Their coverage of critics reaction towards Cannes movies is awesome. You get a good sense of who likes what, what films are getting a lot of buzz, and what films are getting panned, and the stuff in the middle. I'll post links to the movies that most peak my interest.

The 2013 Cannes Review Report: 'Nebraska'

The 2013 Cannes Review Report: 'All is Lost'

The 2013 Cannes Review Report: 'Only God Forgives'

The 2013 Cannes Review Report: 'Behind the Candelabra'

The 2013 Cannes Review Report: 'Inside Llewyn Davis'

The 2013 Cannes Review Report: 'The Bling Ring'

Here is what I am gathering from reaction to these movies. Bling Ring is Sofia Coppola still in "vacuous celeb-culture" territory. There are some positive reviews of her movie, but many conclude that there's not much more going on than what meets the eye.

"Inside Llewyn Davis" is getting raves across the board. The Coen Bros are back baby!

Soderbergh's last film "Behind the Candelabra" is also largely getting positive reviews whereas Refn's "Only God Forgives" is getting the most divergent reviews of the festival.

JC Chandor's "All is Lost" is pretty mixed, but the reaction to Alexander Payne's film "Nebraska" is interesting. It's not polarizing, but some are more enthused about the film than others. Some feeling he's gone into soft territory, others thinking it's wonderfully subtle and moving. I'm really looking forward to it, that's for sure.

Some of the foreign language films, like "Blue is the Warmest Color", "Like Father, Like Son" and "The Past" is getting really strong reviews too. I have a feeling "The Past" will win the Palme, the Coen brothers have a good shot too but the jurors never really go for the "obvious sexy choice." But we'll see. I think the Coens won the Palme for Barton Fink back in 1991 just to give some more context to the situation.

No comments: