Friday, April 13, 2012

Prelude to my Top 10 Summer Movies to Watch list



So before I go ahead and unleash the top 10 movies I am looking forward to this summer, let me show you my ten honorable mentions.

20. Ted
July 13th

I like Mark Wahlberg in comedies. He has an earnestness that makes him suitable for comedy because he's normally a very dramatic actor, he's able to transport the sincerity into comedy and sort of lampoon that persona. Here in Seth MacFarlane's Ted, he looks to be doing that except with an imaginary bear named Ted. Oh wait, it's not imaginary, it's very real. This is Seth MacFarlane we're talking about. Ted really just seems like a cruder version of Brian from Family Guy. We'll see if MacFarlane's comedic style translates well to feature film. The combo of Wahlberg and the fact that this is Seth MacFarlane's first movie has perked my interest.

19. Total Recall
August 3rd



I have to be honest: despite my respect for Colin Farrell as he's really steered his career in the right path over the last five years, a Total Recall reboot is just something I'm not too thrilled about. Part of what I love about the 1990 version of Total Recall is its campiness, the Paul Verhoeven style of violence that he perfected in Robocop. But this is Len Wiseman at the helm, as in, director of the Underworld franchise that nobody really cares about. He also directed the fourth Die Hard film. This looks overdone, but could this possibly be good still? Sure.


18. Neighborhood Watch
July 27th


Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill, Richard Ayoade... the combination of the film's fun concept and great cast could make this a fun comedy to watch this summer.


17. The Campaign



No trailer out for this one but Will Ferrell and Zach Galifiankis co-starring in a movie that has them playing opposing candidates for an election? Trailer should be dropping real soon, we'll see if it's as funny as I hope it'll be.

16. Dark Shadows
May 11th

I have to say, like most recent Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations, I am not very excited about this one either. I feel like Tim Burton movies are just a part of one larger movie. While Sweeney Todd was at least interesting, Burton has relied on too much comedy to support his gothic atmosphere. This looks to be no different. Still, at least it's not a remake of a classic so it has that going for it.

15. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
June 22nd


Sure, the idea of the movie is funny. No, the title of the movie is funny, but can the movie actually follow through on its premise? Will it go beyond what could easily just be a lousy gimmick that wears out its welcome within 15 minutes or can it go the distance? I'm intrigued, but I'm proceeding this movie with caution.

14. The Dictator
May 18th



This movie is closer to Sacha Baron Cohen's first movie Ali G Indahouse than his two other movies, but you know what? I'm kinda getting warmed up to this new character and the movie itself looks pretty funny, albeit kinda stupid. But Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy isn't stupid even if some of his ideas may be. There's always something a message or a point that he wants to get across. We'll see if this movie will be like that or if it'll just be a silly comedy.

13. Men in Black III
May 25th


Will Smith doesn't necessarily look older, but it has been three and a half years since his last movie and he kinda looks... different. His face looks like it's gotten bigger or something, I don't know. I have to say, despite the fact that there's been a lot of backstory on the third MIB movie, the trailer makes it look like it can be pretty decent. Still, once you hear how they pretty much were making shit up as they went along and Will Smith made all these demands, kinda makes you wonder just how good this could be.

12. The Bourne Legacy
August 3rd



Another giant question mark. Jeremy Renner is a phenomenal actor, he really is, but can he follow Matt Damon in the Bourne franchise? He's always been good as a villain or an anti-hero, can he play this role right? If the lead actor wasn't Renner and the director wasn't Tony Gilroy who has made some interesting movies in the past, I would pass on this one altogether. But I don't know... this might be good. We'll have to wait and see.

11. Take This Waltz
June 29th



I like to pay attention to small indie films that come out in the midst of all the summer craziness. Sometimes it's nice to see a movie that's not just manufactured by Hollywood. Sarah Polley wrote and directed this film, her second, and after seeing Away From Her, I definitely can't wait for this one. Plus, Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, and Sarah Silverman in a drama... definitely intrigued by this one. Having said that, I must say, the premise of a happily married woman falling for another man kinda irks me, as a married man. But love and relationships are complex, yadda yadda yadda, Michelle please don't cheat on Seth Rogen... for me.

And of course I don't know just what goes on in this movie, but just speak generally and frankly, once you find out the woman is married... STOP. Don't pry your bullshit into her "happily married" life. And if she tries to see you again, ignore her. Why ruin someone else's marriage? Ok, I'll stop there.

No comments: