Thursday, May 17, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom, Rust and Bone, The We & The I

Moonrise Kingdom

Moonrise Kingdom opened the Cannes Film Festival and the reviews coming out are quite positive. Some of it is faint praise "Wes Anderson being Wes Anderson" while other reviews are even more positive.

 Here are a few select reviews coming out of Cannes:
 Emanuel Levy
  box office magazine
  Sasha Stone from Awards Daily
James Rocchi from The Playlist

Rust and Bone


A French film which has definitely, and officially, entered my radar for this year is "Rust and Bone," a film by Jacques Audiard whose previous film "A Prophet" was incredible, one of the best films of 2009. It looks like his next film is just as good. Rust and Bone stars Marion Cotillard and well, I'll let the reviewers do the rest of the talking.

 Rave reviews from UK critics:
 The Guardian UK
  This Is London

 And from US critics/bloggers:
 Todd McCarthy from The Hollywood Reporter
 Sasha Stone from AD
 Kevin Jagernauth from The Playlist

The We & The I

Michel Gondry's new film coming out of the Director's Fortnight portion of Cannes is called "The We and The I" which follows a group of kids in a Bronx school bus. Gondry's style over substance has often lead to mixed reviews to his films, since the universally praised Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. "The We & The I"  seems like it's no different. I only managed to find three reviews of the film in my google search, but they're pretty divided. The Playlist review is probably the harshest.

The Playlist
Variety
The Hollywood Reporter

No comments: