Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Mid-Way Point (sort of)

While it's already a bit passed the half-way point of 2012, in movie world, I'd say we've reach the mid-point. All of the important summer movies have already come out. While there are a few more that are somewhat interesting, a few indies like Cosmopolis and Red Hook Summer for instance. The rest of the summer looks pretty weak when it comes to movies getting a wide release. John Hillcoat's Lawless comes out on August 31st which I am definitely looking forward to, but in movie world, August 31st might as well be the fall. I mean, if May 4th counts as the summer...

Before we look ahead to movies like Lawless (which was on my summer movies list), let's look back at what were the best films of the year so far. We'll have a complete overview of all the movies I've reviewed (I've reviewed more at this point this year than I've ever had in the past... one of the perks of living in NYC I suppose). I'll also talk about the Avengers vs. The Dark Knight Rises and which one I personally prefer. Then we'll look ahead to the future.

Review overview:

A brief review of Haywire, B- (it's at the bottom of the page)
Wanderlust, B+
Friends with Kids, C+
Jeff, Who Lives at Home, B+
21 Jump Street, A-
The Hunger Games, C-
Bully, C+
Damsels in Distress, B
The Cabin in the Woods, B
The Five Year Engagement, B-
The Avengers, A
The Dictator, B
Moonrise Kingdom, A
Prometheus, B-
Magic Mike, B-
Ted, C
The Amazing Spider-Man, C
Brave, C-
Your Sister's Sister, B+
To Rome With Love, C+
Beasts of the Southern Wild, A
The Dark Knight Rises, A-

My top 10 of the year so far:

1. Beasts of the Southern Wild
2. Moonrise Kingdom
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Avengers
5. 21 Jump Street
6. Your Sister's Sister
7. Jeff, Who Lives at Home
8. Wanderlust
9. Damsels in Distress
10. The Cabin in the Woods

But wait, you gave The Dark Knight Rises an A- and The Avengers an A...

I will explain in my next post.

No comments: