Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Summer Movies preview ( top ten most anticipated movies this summer)


So SINCE I'm kinda bored of the current schlock of movies coming out this month, why not look forward to movies coming out from May-August? Here are the most notable ones from each month. Followed by my most anticipated out of these movies.

May
Iron Man 2
Robin Hood

Shrek Forever After
MacGruber
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Sex and the City 2
Micmacs (limited)

June
Killers
Get Him to the Greek
The A-Team
The Karate Kid
Toy Story 3
Jonah Hex
Grown Ups
Knight and Day

July
Twilight Saga: Eclipse
The Last Airbender
Despicable Me
Predators
Cyrus (limited)
Inception
Salt

August
The Other Guys
Eat Pray Love
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
The Expendables
Piranha 3D

10. MacGruber
dir: Jorma Taccone
Starring: Will Forte, Kristen Wiig, Val Kilmer



Ok, I know what you're thinking. But, this movie has actually gotten a decent amount of positive buzz coming from SXSW film festival. Make no mistake that it's going to be a really stupid movie. Let me emphasize the word stupid, once again. But, apparently, if you can get past some of its flagrant stupidity, then it's a pretty funny movie. My guess is since the expectations are pretty low for the movie (considering it started from a one-joke SNL sketch) that it wildly surpasses extremely low expectations. So really, take that as you will. I'm not saying this will be a comedy classic, but you know what? I'm not too off-the-wall about this summer's movie releases as a whole so if a movie like MacGruber can wind up being funny by accident, then I am all for it.

Coming out May 21st.

9. Predators
Dir: Nimrod Antal
Cast: Adrien Brody, Laurence Fishburne, Topher Grace



I am not wild about the cast of this movie, I'm not too crazy about the concept, nor am I in favor of continually giving the Predator brand a bad name. But, if this movie winds up being better than Predator 2 or Alien vs. Predator, then that's a step in the right direction. In fact, I have to say that I thought the trailer for this movie was pretty decent. My only question is... how the hell will Adrien Brody or Topher Grace defeat this thing? Arnold Schwarzenegger had a hard enough time with ONE predator.

Coming out July 9th.

8. The Other Guys
Dir: Adam McKay
Cast: Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg

Now there is no official trailer for this movie, but I'm honestly really excited to see what Wahlberg and Ferrell can do when teamed up together in a McKay movie. I know Ferrell's output has been pretty bad lately but he always seems to bring his A-game in Mckay's movies. I thought Step Brothers was hilarious. Anchorman is just a 21st century comedy classic and Ricky Bobby had its moments. The addition of Mark Wahlberg and this being a send-up of cop films, McKay and Ferrell should have a lot of good material to work with.

Coming out August 6th.

7. The Expendables
Dir: Sylvester Stallone
Cast: Stallone, Statham, Li, Lundgren



This movie has so many of the all-time great action heroes of the past 30 years that iIm excited for that reason alone. I'm expecting this to be an awesome, violent throwback to some of the more entertaining action movies of the 80s. Some are put off by the serious tone and nature of the film but after cop out & macgruber, we won't be needing more 80s action movie parodies or homages. All that said there is no guarantee that this won't suck. But here's to hoping that it won't suck. You can only commend Stallone for trying to make a movie like this. It's what all action fans dreamed of when they were teens.

Coming out August 13th.

6. Micmacs
Dir: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Cast: Dany Boon, André Dussollier, Nicolas Marié



From the director of Amelie comes another seemingly charming, funny, and wholly original film. This is only getting a limited release in May but I am hoping to see it before the year's end. Buzz on the film has been great so far and the trailer looks great.

Coming out in limited release on May 28th.

5. Robin Hood
Dir: Ridley Scott
Cast: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett



Russel Crowe and Ridley Scott together again in another medieval epic. I haven't been too keen on Scott's films as of late but he does pretty well in this genre. In fact I'd say he's really the only director i can think of who has made great epic sword-and-sandal action movies. If anyone can pull off a good Robin Hood movie, it's Ridley Scott. He's also been wildly inconsistent as of late so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Coming out May 14th.

4. Toy Story 3
Dir: Lee Unkrich
Cast: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen



Woody and Buzz are back together again after 11 years? How could I not get excited over a summer Pixar movie? Pixar almost always delivers the goods every year and I expect no different this time around either.

Coming out June 18th.

3. Iron Man 2
Dir: Jon Favreau
Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Platrow, Scarlett Johansson, Mickey Rourke, Don Cheadle


After the success of the first Iron Man, of course the amount of hype for this movie would be substantially larger. I'm not too sure if I like what I see out of Mickey Rourke's character in the trailer but hopefully it'll all look and feel better in the movie. Downey Jr. looks as sharp as ever and Scarlett Johansson? Hot damn. That's all I have to say about that.

Coming out May 7th.

2. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Dir: Edgar Wright
Cast: Michael Cera



So the teaser trailer came out for this movie last week and I got pretty pumped for this movie. I was already looking forward to it and the teaser definitely made it look even crazier than I'd imagine previously. Buzz for this movie is off the charts. It did feel odd to see the action half and romantic half of the movie sloppily mixed together in the teaser but I don't know if there's a better way to advertise both halves without it feeling odd and sloppy. Maybe when we get the first proper trailer, it'll all make more sense and look better. I trust Edgar Wright here. So far he's 2 for 2.

Coming out August 13th.

1. Inception
Dir: Christopher Nolan
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio



This summer is really all about Inception for me. Inception looks like a seriously good movie on multiple levels. It's hard to say whether it'll meet expectations or not... who the hell knows what to expect from this movie at this point. All I know is that with Nolan at the helm, anything can happen. I know I made a mistake with thinking Public Enemies was definitely gonna be great last year but I will once again go out on a limb and say this will be the nest movie of the summer. I hope I'm right.

Coming out July 16th.

No comments: