Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Great films so far/Great films to come

Look, I don't live in a very big city so I don't get the chance to see every movie, let alone all the ones on limited release. What I CAN do, however, is tell you a few of my favorites so far (which isn't much, honestly), some movies already out that you probably have missed, and great movies that you should look out for the rest of this year. Some movies will overlap with my summer movies list, but hey, when the summer sucks this bad, it's nice to remind yourself what's still out there (as well as wanting to look ahead).

First, great movies I've seen...

Once again, this will be small and brief:
Toy Story 3 - 9.5/10
Shutter Island - 8.75/10
Hot Tub Time Machine - 8/10
Green Zone - 8/10

Get Him to the Greek got a 7 out of 10 from me too, but that's bit too low to call it great. I wouldn't normally put an 8/10 under "great"... but I couldn't just list two movies, that would be sad. Keep in mind, I've missed a lot of movies so far.

So what are they?

Movies I've missed
(with their rottentomatoes rating listed next to them, for more info, click on the movie)

wide releases
How to Train Your Dragon - 98%
note: I, unfortunately, have missed this one even though I clearly had many chances to see it
Kick-Ass - 76%
Iron Man 2 - 73%


limited
Winter's Bone - 92%
Fish Tank - 88%
Please Give - 85%
Ghost Writer - 84%
City Island - 82%
Cyrus - 79%
Micmacs - 75%
Greenberg - 73%
The Killer Inside Me - 54%

more notes:
So yeah, about two movies that were widely released that I HAVEN'T seen yet, that I expect to be good/great. I sort of missed the boat on Iron Man 2, but I'm hoping to see it once it's at the dollar theater.

But the rest? All limited releases! All of those movies have gotten fairly strong reviews across the board. The Killer Inside Me has its detractors because of its controversial violent scenes, but from the reviews I've read, I still find it interesting enough to want to see.

Other than that, you have films from Noah Baumbach, the Duplass Brothers, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and Roman Polanski. You have Fish Tank and Winter's Bone which were Sundance darlings. A good amount of these films will probably be out on DVD soon (save for Cyrus, that just came out) so it'd be nice to catch up with them then. So if you see any of these films around, you might want to check them out. Once I do, I'll tell you what I think.

Upcoming movies (month by month, limited/wide):

July
Despicable Me
Predators
The Kids Are Alright (limited)
Inception
Life During Wartime (limited)
Get Low (limited)

August
The Other Guys
Flipped (limited)
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

September
The American
Machete
The Town
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
It's Kind of a Funny Story (limited)

October
The Social Network
Secretariat
Hereafter

November
Due Date
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1

December
The Fighter
Tron: Legacy
Everything You've Got
Somewhere
True Grit
Blue Valentine
The Descendants*

Release date uncertain
Black Swan
The Rum Diary
The Tree of Life
The Way Back
Another Year
Biutiful

This is as comprehensive as I can possibly get. That is pretty much every film that I'm interested in and that I think have a pretty decent chance of being good. Obviously some of those films may wind up having a limited release and we just don't know it yet. And when those films with uncertain release dates have release dates, I'll let you know.

I'll probably even do a Fall Movie Preview once my top 10-15 most anticipated movies all have trailers and what not. But until then, check out my lists, look these films out, and figure out what you are interested in. Films in the later months that I didn't mention? Simply not interested in them. If you are, then good for you. I've listed plenty as it is.

*People have been saying The Descendants will come out this December, others say in 2011... we'll find out about that one as we get closer to December.

No comments: