Sunday, July 4, 2010

Odd

I find it odd and I hate the fact that, recently, since I have gotten engaged, movies that deal with infidelity affect me in a completely different way than as previous. Especially if it's a movie where the person committing the infidelity is a really likable person and the protagonist of the film. Obviously I can still enjoy the movie for what it is, but I don't like the way it makes me feel.

I bring this up because I recently watched Francois Truffaut's "Bed and Board" on instant netflix. I've been really getting into Truffaut's work over the past year or so and Bed and Board is the fourth Truffaut film I've seen so far. I really enjoyed it too. So far, I've loved 400 Blows and Jules and Jim, I've really enjoyed Bed and Board, and I thought Shoot the Piano Player was pretty good too. But I still got a long way to go. Anyway, with Bed and Board, we follow Antoine Doniel who is now a married man, but he eventually gets caught up in a relationship with a Japanese woman that he met at work. Instead of merely enjoying the film, I was like grinding my teeth wondering how this man could even think about being with this woman when his wife is simply gorgeous! Seriously Claude Jade is beautiful in that movie. In fact, part of what has drawn me to French New Wave is all the beautiful women that are cast in their movies (including, Anna Karina). Of course now, they're either dead or old-looking...

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July.

No comments: